The following steps will increase the odds of saving an adult tooth that has been knocked out:
- Recover what you can of the tooth – do not try to clean it and avoid touching the roots, if possible
- Try to place the tooth back in the socket and hold it in place with your finger or a piece of gauze
- If you cannot get the tooth back in the socket, put it in milk, saline solution, or your own saliva. You can hold it in your mouth if you are confident you will not accidentally swallow it.
- Get help quickly by contacting your dentist, an oral surgeon, or going to an emergency room
- Stay calm and drive safely