Have you tried to buy a toothbrush lately? The choices are endless. There are electric brushes, hand brushes, hard, medium, and soft bristles, and a multitude of head and handle shapes. How can you tell which one is right for you? Following these tips from Dr. Smith can help.
Choosing a Toothbrush
- We recommend soft bristles as they clean effectively while being gentle to your gums and tooth enamel.
- Consider a professional level power toothbrush. They are easier and do a better job than hand brushing. We have them available at our office.
- The right head or handle shape is the one that fits in your mouth and works best for you. There is not a lot of difference in how they function.
- Select different colors for each member of the family to avoid confusion.
Caring for Your Toothbrush
- Rinse your brush clean after each use.
- Do not store it with a cap or seal as this creates a moist environment that bacteria love.
- Keep it away from toilet flush spray (about 6 to 8 feet).
- Replace or sterilize it after a cold or flu.
- Replace your toothbrush when the bristles start to wear or every three months.
We will provide you with a free toothbrush when you come in for a professional teeth cleaning. If you would like to learn more or upgrade to a power brush or oral irrigator, our hygienist will help you choose what is best for your specific needs.
Ron Smith DDS – Knoxville – (865) 922-1613