Many people are challenged with sensitive gag reflexes when they visit the dentist. The urge to gag may be caused by physical and/or psychological issues. The most important thing is to feel comfortable with the dentist you have chosen and to communicate clearly with them. If they are not being caring and gentle, you may be in the wrong place.
Our number one recommendation for patients who gag easily is oral sedation dentistry. It is as easy as taking a pill before your treatment and can limit stress, fear, and the urge to gag. Oral sedation dentistry also allows us to accomplish more treatment (often all of it) in one visit, making it more convenient, too.
Other ways to to help keep your gag flex under control include :
- Breathing through your nose
- Relaxation techniques
- Numbing throat spray or ask for topical anesthetic
- Snore relief spray
- Putting a little table salt on the tip of the tongue
- Choosing the time of day your gag reflex is least active
- Listening to music
- Lifting one foot in the air (takes your concentration away from the dentistry)
- CBT – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
If you are looking for an understanding and compassionate dentist and team, we would love to meet you. We promise we will be gentle and take very good care of you.
Call (865) 922-1613 Knoxville, TN