A mouth that feels chronically dry can be very uncomfortable. It can also make your teeth more susceptible to cavities and other mouth conditions.
The first step in resolving dry mouth syndrome is identifying what is causing it. Likely reasons include:
- Snoring or mouth breathing
- Medications – including prescription and over the counter drugs for depression, anxiety, antihistamines, decongestants, blood pressure, diarrhea, muscle relaxers, urinary tract issues, and Parkinson’s
- Aging and menopause
- Medical conditions – diabetes, sinus problems, Parkinson’s, HIV/AIDS, anxiety, and depression
Most cases of dry mouth syndrome are treatable.
- There are over the counter products like Biotene that can provide relief and may resolve the issue for you.
- If you believe there is a direct correlation with medications, you can talk to your doctor to see if there are other options.
- You can also talk to your dentist to learn more about how to get relief.
If you are in the Knoxville area, we would love to help.
Knoxville Family and Sedation Dentistry (865) 922-1613